Monday 13 June 2022

The Crucial Ingredient in Writing A Sitcom Script

Last time, I said that in order to write a sitcom, you need to love sitcoms.

My overall tone probably sounded like I was trying to put you off.

I was.

Over the years, I’ve seen lots of writers underestimate what lies ahead, and what I don’t want is anyone to spend good money on my 12 lesson comprehensive video course, and then give up.

So why do they give up?

What are they missing? What's the crucial ingredient?

We need to know because writing is hard.

Writing a sitcom is particularly hard.

When you tell people this, they tend to nod and agree, but not believe you. The number of script competitions and initiatives suggests that anyone can do it. And everyone can have a go. They can.

But should they?

Turn Back Now

In my e-book, Writing That Sitcom, I begin with an intervention, trying to put off the reader from writing a sitcom. The chapter is called ‘Turn Back Now’.

I was inspired to do this by an article by screenwriter Josh Olson (History of Violence) who wrote a brilliant piece for the Village Voice back in 2009 about what happens when friends ask him to read their friend’s script.

The friend is usually under the mistaken impression that the script is probably basically fine, and just needs tweaks, because, after all, writing can’t be that hard, can it?

Olson writes:

“Here’s the thing: not only is it cruel to encourage the hopeless, but you cannot discourage a writer. If someone can talk you out of being a writer, you’re not a writer. If I can talk you out of being a writer, I’ve done you a favor, because now you’ll be free to pursue your real talent, whatever that may be. And, for the record, everybody has one. The lucky ones figure out what that is. The unlucky ones keep on writing shitty screenplays and asking me to read them."

Ouch. Okay, that's pretty grumpy.

But in article, he argues that people really don't understand how much work is involved in creating a script. Professionals spend all day every day doing it, and their scripts still aren't that great.

I often say that my advantage as a professional script writer is not really experience. I was relatively successful in my 20s and early 30s without as much as experience as I have now. But one key advantage I have now is that I know how long it takes to write a good script. So I know how much time to allow, and can adjust my expectations accordingly.

Are we there yet?

Those starting out writing a sitcom script – or looking at the 12 Lessons of my course - might look at the process and think they won’t need to go through those steps. But they will.

Or they may think, as they go through then, that they’re doing something wrong because each step is taking a long time, a lot of work seems wasted, and this whole enterprise is going to take months.

Correct. If takes ages, if you’re doing it right.

The crucial ingredient in writing a sitcom is: time.

Physician, Heal Thyself

All of this is easily forgotten. I took some short cuts on a sitcom script recently, and wrote thirty pages. And then I tightened it up.

When read it though and realised that the first 17 pages just don’t work, and aren’t needed. I got my wife to read it. She agreed. And she's really nice.

Now, I’m quite good at sitcom writing. I’ve been doing it for 20 years, and I’m looking at a script that just doesn’t work. And I’m a little numb with the amount of work that lays ahead of me. But I'm no surprised.

I should have done my own course and done it the right way – the long way. And you know what? That’s exactly what I’m doing. My own course, taking my own advice. And I recommend that you do the same.

You can get that e-book, Writing That Sitcom, or the audio version right now, but it’s included for free – along with many other things – in my Writing That Sitcom course. It’s a complete course that’s all about helping you write a sitcom script you’re proud of. It’s launches on 16th June – but you’ll want to get in soon as many of the bonuses are only available until 4th July.

Why not join the mailing list to so you’re ready for when it opens and anything else that's happening in the future? Join here.

No comments:

Post a Comment